Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 305: 2 Timothy

Reading 2 Timothy gives encouragement and exhortation but it is also a bit melancholy. It reminds us of the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives to enable us to carry out our mission and endure the resulting suffering:
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. (2 Timothy 1:7-8)
In regards to that suffering it reminds us that it is to be expected:
In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. (2 Timothy 3:12-13)
I always have mixed feelings about passages like this because the truth is I spend a lot of my energies trying to avoid suffering and persecution. Paul tells Timothy that we should all expect it. You get the impression that if you're not being persecuted in some way you're doing something wrong.

Paul holds himself up as an example to Timothy in life and ministry. In this verse he lays out, in simple terms, the whole idea of disciple making. One of the things I've learned in 30 years of ministry is that nobody feels qualified to make disciples. But the truth is that everyone who is a Christ-follower is not only qualified but required to make disciples. This is how the whole thing works:
And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. (2 Timothy 2:2)
In the midst of Paul's persecution it seems he was abandoned by some who claimed to be his friends. I'm sure this added a whole other level to his suffering...and it's one of the things that makes this letter feel a little melancholy:
You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes. (2 Timothy 1:15)
At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. (2 Timothy 4:16)
I said this letter feel a little melancholy but that may not be exactly right. It does read like sort of a final letter from Paul...like maybe this will be the last you hear from him and he wants to make sure he says what needs to be said. But I don't think Paul is really feeling melancholy...I think Paul's feeling ready:
For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment